I wrote this post a few years ago but I thought it was worth sharing again.
1) There is nothing worth getting yourself crazy about. We cannot change the things that happen to us but we can change the way we react to them. Really, it doesn’t help anyone to magnify circumstances we find ourselves in.
2) People do not change. It is disappointing to hold out hope for people that do not have any. It is a sad lesson but an important one. Don’t always expect people to do the right thing, especially people who put their own needs first.
3) People do not want to be around negative and critical people. It is important to ask yourself from time to time if you are someone others would enjoy being around.
4) There are 2 types of people in this world. Victims and heroes. Heroes save themselves, victims blame those around them. You are the only one that can save yourself.
5) There is a lot of incompetence and neglect of accountability in the world. Gently lead by example and be the change you wish to see in the world.
6) Life is short. We do not get seconds, minutes, days, holidays, or years back. It is important to remind yourself of this so you don’t get sucked into the personal drama all around us.
7) You cannot save the world, only yourself. When you are a better you, the world becomes better too. That is the only control we really have.
8) Nothing is constant. If our situation remains the same, it is because we choose to keep it that way. Different behaviors and decisions lead to different circumstances. If we choose to exist in our old world, a new one will not magically appear.
9) This may be the most important lesson of all. There is plenty good all around us. People are kind. We can only see what we let ourselves believe.
10) Every year goes by faster and faster. Grab the reigns and hold on for dear life. Live to the fullest and don’t miss a single chance to make a difference in someone else’s life. We are all connected and the way we treat and act towards others ultimately leads to how we will be treated ourselves.